Friday, October 19, 2012

Shout! Little Poems That Roar!



Shout! Little Poems That Roar!
Written by Brod Bagert
Illustrated by Sachiko Yoshikawa
Scholastic Inc., 2008
30 pages
Poetry

          I chose this book because I have read several of the poems to the children in my class at the daycare where I work. The students love the poems and the illustrations are fun! This book of poems talks about everything from school to home to ketchup! There are poems to teach the alphabet, numbers one through ten, the five senses, and the seasons. This would make a great addition to any younger elementary school classroom library. My favorite poem in the book is entitled, “Sense Alive,” 
 
Senses, senses, I have five,
Senses make me feel alive.
In the bathroom Daddy goes…
I WISH I DIDN’T HAVE A NOSE!

The poem continues on to describe hearing, touching, tasting, and seeing. These poems make learning fun and funny for students! 

          Yoshikawa uses brightly colored acrylic paint to create her vibrant and eye catching illustrations. All of the illustrations in the book cover a double page spread. The lines in the book vary between smooth and jagged. The lines of the illustrations are very thin. This book features informal text placement. 

          This book would be great for upper preschool to third grade students. This book could be used in science to teach the five senses, the constellations, or seasons. It could be used in kindergarten to teach the alphabet and numbers. It could also be used in math as an introduction to addition. This book covers a wide range of subjects with poems that you are sure to love!  This book has not received any awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment